Director of Test Operations
The National Conference of Bar Examiners, a national nonprofit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, is seeking a Director of Test Operations. The successful candidate will possess the ability to oversee aspects of the organization that relate to test development and test administration. A background in high-stakes testing is desired, with experience in bar admissions preferred. A law degree is preferred.
The National Conference serves the bar admission agencies in the states and territories of the United States, most of which are affiliated with the highest court in each jurisdiction. Approximately 70,000 candidates take the bar examination annually. Bar examinations are administered on a state-by-state basis. National Conference tests are important components of most state bar examinations.
The National Conference develops four examinations for use in determining eligibility of candidates for bar admission: the Multistate Bar Examination, the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination, the Multistate Essay Examination, and the Multistate Performance Test. In addition, the organization provides support to the jurisdictions in the form of publications, educational programming, and consultation on subjects related to high-stakes testing.
The National Conference provides a family-friendly environment and a competitive salary and benefits. Madison, Wisconsin, is a vibrant community with excellent municipal services and educational opportunities. Information about the organization can be obtained from our website, www.ncbex.org.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversees test development, production, delivery, and post-administration duties for all four of NCBE’s exams: MBE, MPRE, MEE, and MPT
- Supervises a staff of 16, including program directors, administrative staff, and test editors
- Coordinates with testing and IT staff to develop, improve, and troubleshoot testing-related applications
- Manages the semiannual MEE/MPT Grading Workshop, held in Madison, WI, every February and July, in which 350+ graders participate in person, by conference call, and via on-demand video
- Oversees the preparation of grading materials and provides grader training at the Grading Workshop and to individual state boards
- Reports to the President of NCBE and Board of Trustees
- Maintains exam security through education and outreach in addition to the development of policies and procedures in coordination with NCBE’s Director of Test and Information Security and jurisdiction bar admissions personnel
- Provides training to state boards and graders on Uniform Bar Exam grading standards
- Key team member in the transition of the MPRE to a computer-based test from a paper-based test
- Educates volunteers, state supreme courts, admissions staff, and the public on high-stakes measurement principles
- Supports the work of NCBE’s Testing Task Force on the future of the bar exam and implements any program redesign of NCBE’s testing components
- Works to effectively manage change at the staff and stakeholder level
- Law degree preferred, but consideration will be given to candidates with other relevant qualifications
- Demonstrated legal writing and editing skills
- Administration and/or operational experience including strong problem-solving and decision-making skills, project management experience, and action planning and prioritization skills
- High level of organizational and time management skills
- Ability to travel to meetings across the United States both during the week and on weekends
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills to engage bar examiners, volunteer drafters, and the public regarding high-stakes test development, administration, and scoring
- Creative thinker
- Experience as a supervisor
- Familiarity with a range of technology solutions and experience integrating technology to support corporate goals
Please send a resume outlining relevant experience to:
National Conference of Bar Examiners
302 South Bedford Street
Madison, WI 53703-3622
Applications are due by January 25, 2019.