The National Conference of Bar Examiners, a national non-profit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, is seeking a Research Psychometrician. The successful candidate will have a strong background in high-stakes testing, statistics, and research methodology. An advanced degree in measurement or a related field is required.
The National Conference serves the bar admission agencies in the states and territories of the United States, most of which are affiliated with the highest court in each jurisdiction. Approximately 73,000 candidates take the bar examination annually. Bar examinations are administered on a state-by-state basis. National Conference tests are important components of most state bar examinations.
The National Conference develops four examinations for use in determining eligibility of candidates for bar admission: the Multistate Bar Examination, the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination, the Multistate Essay Examination, and the Multistate Performance Test. In addition, the organization provides support to the states in the form of publications, educational programming, and consultation on such subjects as fairness in testing, test operations, and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
In conjunction with other psychometric staff, the Research Psychometrician is responsible for conducting the scaling and equating of the Conference’s testing programs, for conducting research on the characteristics of these programs, and for conducting substantive research on issues related to bar examinations. Much of this research is generated internally, but NCBE also provides assistance to jurisdictions related to their examination programs.
The National Conference is looking for an individual with strong technical and interpersonal skills to provide expertise as the organization maintains the strength of its current tests and services and maps out its future agenda for testing and research.
The National Conference provides a family-friendly environment and a competitive salary and benefits. Madison, Wisconsin, is a vibrant community with excellent municipal services and educational opportunities. Information about the organization can be obtained from our website, www.ncbex.org.
Responsible for implementing psychometric procedures for legal licensing programs, assuring the veracity of data, analytical methods and results, and independently and collaboratively designing, planning, and completing research studies to support operations. Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Perform classical and IRT item analyses, equating studies, validity studies, sampling plans, and special statistical analyses.
- Critically evaluate IRT equating results.
- Develop and use psychometric tools to evaluate accuracy of results and decisions made during complex psychometric analyses.
- Accurately analyze, interpret, and clearly communicate test results to officials in different jurisdictions within specified deadlines.
- Work with operational testing personnel to review tests and equating models to support psychometric scales over multi-year periods.
- Author technical documentations that comprehensively summarize details of the assessment program, and that are in compliance with the professional educational testing standards.
- Participate in research projects that include, but are not limited to, designing research studies, presenting research at local, regional and national conferences and authoring articles for the Bar Examiner and peer-reviewed publications.
- Ph.D. in educational statistics, measurement, or psychometrics. Must have included study or curricular training in the following: IRT applications, item calibration, score equating, and traditional and IRT-based methods of item and test analysis. Coursework and/or training through internships or graduate assistantships must include experience with statistical analysis software (SAS and SPSS) and IRT software (e.g., BILOG-MG preferred).
Please send a resume outlining relevant experience to:
National Conference of Bar Examiners
Attn: Human Resources
302 South Bedford Street
Madison, WI 53703-3622