MBE Program Director
The National Conference of Bar Examiners, a national non-profit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, is seeking a Program Director for the Multistate Bar Examination (MBE) program. The successful candidate will have a strong background in program management as well as expertise in technical writing and editing. A law degree is required.
The National Conference serves the bar admission agencies in the states and territories of the United States, most of which are affiliated with the highest court in each jurisdiction. Bar examinations are administered on a state-by-state basis. National Conference tests are important components of most state bar examinations.
The National Conference develops four examinations for use in determining eligibility of candidates for bar admission: the Multistate Bar Examination, the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination, the Multistate Essay Examination, and the Multistate Performance Test. In addition, the organization provides support to the jurisdictions in the form of publications, educational programming, and consultation on subjects related to high-stakes testing.
The MBE Program Director is responsible for all aspects of the MBE, managing a team of editors who work with item writers to develop the exam questions; working with information technology staff to ensure that IT systems are appropriate for the various functions needed for test form development, scoring, and score reporting; working with psychometric staff to ensure that the scoring and analysis is conducted in an appropriate manner; and working with jurisdictions to ensure that the MBE is administered securely and consistently.
The National Conference is looking for an individual with strong project management, technical writing, and interpersonal skills to provide expertise as the organization maintains the strength of the MBE, and who can participate in mapping out its future agenda for change in the testing program.
The National Conference provides a family-friendly environment and a competitive salary and benefits. Madison, Wisconsin, is a vibrant community with excellent municipal services and educational opportunities. Information about the organization can be obtained from our website, www.ncbex.org.
Responsible for directing all aspects of the MBE program; assuring the accuracy of all test questions; building high-quality exams; working with drafting teams and testing staff to ensure the quality of all aspects of the MBE. Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Accurately analyze, interpret, and clearly communicate test results to various constituencies.
- Work with jurisdiction officials to ensure appropriate implementation of licensing testing programs.
- Work with testing personnel on construction and evaluation of tests.
- Author technical documentations that comprehensively summarize details of the assessment program, and that are in compliance with professional educational testing standards.
- Ensures adherence to existing policies and procedures, update as needed, and manage policies and procedures for new initiatives that meet the highest standards of quality, security, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Graduate of an ABA-approved law school, and admitted to the bar in at least one jurisdiction.
- Public speaking skills
- Demonstrated writing and editing skill.
- Evidence of project management responsibility.
- High level of organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to travel to meetings across the U.S.
Salary commensurate with years of experience and accomplishments.
Please send a resume outlining relevant experience to:
National Conference of Bar Examiners
302 South Bedford Street
Fax: (608) 442-7959