Conducting character and fitness investigations on applicants seeking either admission to the bar or a limited license to practice law
Character and Fitness
The National Conference of Bar Examiners conducts character and fitness investigations on applicants seeking either admission to the bar or a limited license to practice law. Not all jurisdictions participate in NCBE's Character and Fitness Investigations service. Please check with the jurisdiction to which you are applying to determine if it participates in this service. Contact information for the jurisdictions can be found in the Bar Admission Offices Directory on the home page.
NCBE strongly recommends completing the NCBE Character and Fitness Application online. If you wish to print and complete a manual application, first contact NCBE or the jurisdiction to which you are applying to confirm which application version is required. Completing and submitting this application to NCBE does not constitute a completion of the application process for admission to the bar.
To revise or amend your previously submitted Character and Fitness Application, please complete and submit the appropriate form/s.
- Authorization and Release Form: Three original, properly executed, single-sided Authorization and Release Forms must accompany the NCBE Character and Fitness Application.
- Request for Photocopy of Prior Application: Use the Request for Photocopy of Prior Application form to obtain a copy of an application that was previously filed and processed by NCBE.
- Revisions Form: If your application HAS NOT YET BEEN PRINTED AND MAILED to a jurisdiction or to NCBE, use the Revisions Form to report any errors or omissions on your finalized online application.
- Amendment Forms: If your application HAS ALREADY BEEN PRINTED AND MAILED to a jurisdiction or to NCBE, use the pertinent amendment forms to report any changes to your application. Use the General Amendment Form to report any changes not covered in the specific Amendment Forms.
- Overview of Character and Fitness
- FAQs - Character and Fitness
Amendment Forms (PDF)
Sample Application (PDF)
(Not for submission, reference only)